– In your own words, describe the procedure of planning a fashion shoot. You don’t need to go into too much detail, a short outline will do.
In short, the entire process of planning a shoot can be summarised into six different steps. First, decide upon a concept. Draw inspiration from things around you; books, movies, other campaigns, etc. Then, scout out a location that would fit the concept of the shoot. When the location is decided upon, or some alternatives are found at least, create an inspiration board. Here, makeup styles, clothes, expressions, lighting, colours and so on should be included to give a certain impression of what the shoot itself will focus on. Then, find a model, preferably one that would fit your shoot. After securing the model, securing stylists that have a style similar to what you are searching for. After this, the final stage would be to plan the entire shoot time-wise and also plan the execution of the shoot in terms of technical setup, lighting, and so on.
– What are the stylist’s duties?
The stylist is responsible for “creating” the visual identity of the shoot; in most cases this would be make-up, hair and clothing for the model. They need to pay particular attention to details in expressing the mood the photographer want for the shoot through details such as accessories, clothing and make-up.
– List your duties as photographer
First and main responsibility is to be focused on the task at hand; pay attention to the model and how you would place the model and give him / her advice on poses that would fit the food. Be careful to also listen to your team, they might be able to provide you with good advice. And make sure to make them feel like their opinion matter to you; both the opinions of your team and your model. Finally, use the light and location to your advantage, and use all your knowledge to make the model look good.
– What equipment would you take along on the Alice in Wonderland shoot that was featured in this module?
- Camera, preferably two cameras so that I could set them up with different lenses without having to switch as we go.
- Wide angle lens
- Telephoto lens
- Two lightboxes, white diffusers
- Extra battery and extra memory card
- Portable battery for providing electricity
– Find an editorial fashion spread in a fashion magazine. Explain what you think the concept was, what equipment they used and how the location affected the concept. Scan or photograph the shoot and hand it in along with your answer.
My choice is a shoot for Korean fashion and lifestyle magazine Ceci, published in the March issue of 2018. This shot was completed in time for “White Day”, which is a follow-up to Valentine’s Day in many parts of Asia where boys give candy or other gifts to the girls who gifted them with chocolate on Valentine’s Day. The shoot would fit this theme perfectly; sweet, pastel clothes, male models, bubblegum-inspired colours and soft lighting. I would believe this to be a studio shoot, as the background is neutral and a soft white, also fitting the theme.
Watch the tutorial on Lynda.com: Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Editorial Assignment.
– Plan a Snow White themed fashion shoot.
– Create a mood board for hair, make-up and fashion.
– Create a storyboard
– Create a shot list
– Create a timeline for the shoot day
Concept: Oriental Snow White
Mood board: https://www.pinterest.co.kr/sakuyan/snow-white/
Location: Kyoto, Kiyomizu area.
Time on Set: 12:00
Team on Set:
- Make-up, Hair, Styling: Erin Luna
- Art Director & Photographer: Camilla
- Assistant: Tania
- Model: Natsumi
- Wide-angle lens
- Telephoto lens
- Light reflector
- Memory card (x2)
- Extra battery
Shots and locations:
- Kiyomizu Temple trail
- Sanneizaka Pedestrian Area and Tea House
- Kodaiji Temple Gardens (dusk / evening)
12:00: Arrival at make-up and hair, concept meeting
12:15 – 14:30: Make-up, hair, styling
15:00 – 15:30: Shoot 1
16:00 – 17:00: Shoot 2
17:30 – 18:30: Shoot 3
I really want to do this shoot, so I have plans of doing this later in March, but not with the concept mentioned above as I would need to travel to Kyoto for that. As of now the resources are a bit scarce, but I will make this happen for sure!